News Update :
Home » , , » Interview: Carol Maraj Mother of Nicki Minaj Talks about Her Single "God's Been Good"

Interview: Carol Maraj Mother of Nicki Minaj Talks about Her Single "God's Been Good"

Writer : Caribbean E-Magazine on Monday, April 28, 2014 | 11:44 AM


C
arol Maraj, songwriter, playwright, and mother of rap icon Nicki Minaj, has launched her own musical mission. She recently released her first Contemporary Gospel single titled "God's Been Good". 

Maraj’s heartfelt lyrics and motivational messages are complemented by electronic dance energy "EDM" beats creating a new spiritual anthem destined to cross musical genres. 

She is also a motivational speaker inspiring and uplifting suppressed women in New York City throughout the tri-state area and her native island of Trinidad.

As a survivor of domestic violence, she was violence inspired  to create the Carol Maraj Foundation and the ‘Beauty for Ashes Program.’ 

CEM got the opportunity to speak to Ms. Maraj about her single and her foundation.  


Tell us about yourself?
I am like the gel that binds my family together; this is only possible through my remaining in constant prayer. There is no giving up with me; I become resilient in adversities. 

How long have you been singing?
I have been singing in various churches in Queens and Brooklyn New York for 20 years.

And why have you just decided to become a Professional Singer?
All my life, I have been singing and cultivating my musical talents.  “With my daughter’s career thriving, I started spending more time writing about my life". 

What was your inspiration to venture into Gospel music?
Because God delivered me from so many adversities in my life, I wanted to share the message of the Gospel with others who were going through similar changes. 

Your single “God’s Been Good” is very motivational; tell us what the song is about.
The song “God's Been Good” was designed to tell the world that God is still in the "miracle working" business and that he is our protector even when we are unaware. It tells about a woman experiencing healing from cancer and a young man moving away just in time during a drive by.

Do you enjoy writing music and/or lyrics?
Yes, I enjoy writing lyrics, because that's my forte. Writing lyrics allows me to revisit my experiences and be in touch with my emotions. 

What has been the feedback so far since the single was released?
The single has been well received within the community. Within days of the release the hashtag #godsbeengood received 700,000 impressions.  Currently it's up to 900,000 impressions and people have been setting the song as their new ring tone.

What challenges have you faced in the music industry?
Like all new artists, trying to navigate the business and shopping my career is a daily challenge. 

Who are your influences?
On any given day you can find me listing to Whitney Huston, Bebe & CeCe Winans and Tamela Mann.

Who is your favourite gospel artiste?  
Tamela Mann.

What is your favorite part of the music making process?
Being in the studio, recording tracks, and seeing ideas come together.


Your daughter Nicki Minaj is doing rap, do you think you will ever do gospel collaboration with her?
God is able to do all things- I am not ruling out that possibility.

If you could dabble in another genre of music, what would it be?
Country music! Country music tells a story and I have similar writing abilities.

Where can fans purchase your music?
iTunes and Amazon 

Apart from music you are involved in other ventures, such as you Carol Maraj Foundation and the Beauty For Ashes Program. Tell us about that?
The Beauty For Ashes Program is an annual event for honoring women who have suffered from domestic violence. With the help of contributing sponsors, honorees will be deemed "Queens for a Day".  The day starts with a spa treatment, followed by a festive celebration which includes motivational dancing, speaking, poems, and speeches.  Dinner is held at a catering hall with live entertainment. 

The honorees are selected by the shelter Directors.

The Carol Maraj Foundation was established to enhance the lives of victims of domestic violence and the socially displaced.  http://www.carolmaraj.com

In the Caribbean most women in general tend not to report “domestic violence” because they don’t think much is being done by law- makers to protect them. Do you think this is true?
Yes, I do.  My experiences were never reported, because crimes against women are taken very lightly. In 2011, I was visited by two radio personalities in Trinidad who shared their concerns about the disheartening state of women's issues in the Caribbean. My goal is to start empowerment programs and to uncover this silent epidemic. 

What advice you would give to someone in a “domestic violence” situation, who wants to get out, but is paralyzed by fear.
You must get out! I would advise victims to be strategic in planning their escape; get others involved in their exit plan, because, mistakes can be fatal. You must get out alive!!


What else can we expect from you in the future?
I am a playwright and would like to produce or a larger scale. I also have an untitled book that I am completing by the end of the year based on weathering the storms of life.



 
.......................................................................................................................................................
Copyright 2014 Caribbean E-Magazine All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without credit..
www.ShiekhShoes.com
ShiekhShoes.com
Share this article :
 
Design Template by panjz-online | Support by creating website | Powered by Blogger