News Update :
Home » , , , , » Meet Dominica's most prominent reggae artiste "Aima Moses"

Meet Dominica's most prominent reggae artiste "Aima Moses"

Writer : Caribbean E-Magazine on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 | 10:26 PM

Born Amaziah Moses on the beautiful Island of Dominica, with four other siblings is prominent reggae artist Aima Moses.

From a tender age Aima knew he wanted to be a musician. While attending Newtown primary school he was a member of the school choir and entered music contest while attending High School. Aima realized that he really loves music and started focusing on his dreams of becoming an artiste.

He and his close friend Michael would listen to Caribbean and American music rhythms, then create songs to those rhythms. He would visit record shops like 'Music Land' in the capital city of Roseau on his own, where he would ask for his songs to be recorded with the familiar rhythms.

Aima was placed second at a contest attended by then Prime Minister, Edison James at the Arawak House of Culture. Startled by the Prime Minister's presence he had to quickly change his original song so not to offend him for the song contained political content.

With many award under his belt in 2004 Aima Moses released his first album called "No Barriers", which won him the "Best Reggae Album' in the DBS Flamboyant Awards in 2005. He was named "Best Reggae Artist" of 2008 and in 2010 "Best New Upcoming Artist of the Month" by Caribbean Society Media.

In 2010 Aima was featured on a 2010 international Reggae Compilation CD called the Mirror Riddim and the SpalshBack Riddim CD, which includes Jamaican artists Lutan Fyah, bushman, Teflon and others.

Aima has been performing in the United States and the Caribbean, in various shows with local and international reggae artists both home and abroad such as Sizzla, Capleton, Tarus Riley, Duane Stephenson Morgan Heritage, Beres Hammond, Beenieman, Movado, Queen Ifrica, Gyptian, Etana, Tanya Stephens, Tony rebel, Eric Donaldson, Lutan fyah, Duane Stephenson, Tanya Stephens to name a few.

Q and A with Aima Moses

When and how did you first become interested in music? How long have you been doing music?
I first became interested in music from a real young age, even before primary school where I was apart of the school choir. I've been doing music from then but started recording and listening to myself from about 93 while early in high school


For those who have never heard your music, what is your music about?
My music is about uplifting, it’s about life teachings, love, spirituality, knowing one’s self even the education of  my people and the world, especially the Black nation because we have been through the most inhumane treatment throughout creation.


You grew up in a church family, how has that impacted your life and your music?
Growing up in a church family impacted my life and music in the way of being in church where my father would perform church songs, also just by having a church family mama, she would always make sure we pray, daddy would make sure we go aside and read our bible even though we didn’t want to all the time, but it's apart of what made me the way I am this day, which is spiritual, love prayers, and strong in faith.


Your family is very musical. What was  it like growing up?
Growing up was a blessing though it was real hard, I was a very shy person and still is to a certain level, my father was a construction worker, my mom did a lot of low income jobs to help ends meet, but I was fortunate to know what it is to be a family and have a family around me, So I give thanks for that, even through the most terrible times this would give me some joy.


Do you play any instrument, if so what?
I play the acoustic drums, right now I'm learning the keyboard, it's always good for an artiste to learn an instrument it helps and improves our craft in so many ways

You are from Dominica, how acceptable is reggae music there?
Reggae is one of the most popular music in the DA if not the most popular, In Dominica every type of music has a crowd so you will find artiste who do every genre of music


When one hears of reggae a person assume Jamaica, hence been a Rastafarian, do you people automatically assume you are from Jamaica? 
People especially in America automatically assume that any black Rasta man with an accent or is a Reggae artist is from Jamaica and I can't blame them because Jamaica has the loudest voice in the Caribbean through music and culture, and is also the capital and president of Reggae music so its natural they would assume those things.


Who are your musical inspirations? 
My musical inspirations are from Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie, Sade, Billy Ocean, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, Shabba Ranks, Culture, Terri Ganzie, Capleton, Sizzla and some others.

Some artistes have late-night jam sessions or brainstorm in the car. How do you write your songs?
I write my songs by first creating in my head whether I'm walking on the streets, in the bathroom, with a friend, working, trodding the mountains, anywhere the vibe or the inspiration hit me I create first in my head then write on paper.

Where would be your ultimate place to perform and with whom?
My ultimate place to perform would be to perform on any of the main Reggae stages, anywhere in the world with some of the real cultural artists


Your first album was in 2004 called "No Barriers", and it also won you a "best reggae album" award. How did you feel?
Winning the award for best Reggae album, I was very humbled and excited at the same time to have won and just being recognized in that award show was really another accomplishment, not only for me but all the other Reggae artiste who were nominated

In your opinion, what is the single most difficult challenge reggae musician’s face today?
I think the single most difficult challenges Reggae musicians face is the traveling situations

You were recently signed to Donsome Record, how has that changed your life?
My signing with Donsome records has changed my life, it give me opportunity to  being heard by a wider audience, being more cautious of what I do and say as an artiste, because I also represent the label, being more serious and professional with my career, also more focus

With the upcoming album what makes it different from you other albums?
My upcoming album is going to be different from the first because I am more mature, I have learnt a lot since the first album but the main difference will be the production work on this album from Donsome Records

Tell about your company “FAHYAH NATION”, what is it about?
FAHYAH NATION is a company I created along with my fellow Reggae artiste brethren Ras Judah where it would be used as an umbrella for local artists under which we would help each other, print our own CDs, do our little videos, each one help one, each one strengthen one as artists whether by giving a slice onstage, or just recommending one another for stage shows, or events

You have fans on Facebook, twitter, MySpace, how do you keep up with all the fans demands in terms of wanting to feel involved with whatever you do.
I keeping my music life public and my private life private, so my fans demands of being involved with whatever I do is kept that way, my fans also inspire me very much and a lot of times they give me strength to keep positive and keep going with my mission, but still at the end of the day only me can deal with my trials or make important decisions which will affect my life or my children’s life.

 Let’s talk about gadgets! What is your favorite gadget that you possess?
My favorite gadget in my possession I would say is my laptop because I do a lot with it

Do you have any upcoming performances or tour?
I am always performing and right now I'm doing a lot of writing for my upcoming album then the tour will be worked on

What else can we expect from you in the future
In the future you can expect a lot more good music, collaborations with international artists, tours, videos the whole works

Do you have any advice for young musicians?
 My advice to young musicians is just stay focus on your goals, “you can achieve what you will”
Never give up on anything you want to be or do in this life, love yourself and keep it real
Share this article :

+ comments + 3 comments

Anonymous
Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 11:22:00 AM EDT

thats my artist, keep pushing forward my lord, looking foward to your new works with Donsmome Records

Anonymous
Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 11:23:00 AM EDT

BOOOOM BOOOOOM BOOOOM!!!

Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 12:35:00 PM EDT

Blessing King . Easy lagaranks

Post a Comment
 
Design Template by panjz-online | Support by creating website | Powered by Blogger