News Update :
Home » , , , » The Amazing Kimberley ‘Kim-Issa’ Sherlock , Miss Jamaica Global 2011

The Amazing Kimberley ‘Kim-Issa’ Sherlock , Miss Jamaica Global 2011

Writer : Caribbean E-Magazine on Thursday, September 15, 2011 | 3:53 PM


Hailing from St. Andrew, Jamaica, 21 year old Kimberley ‘Kim-Issa’ Sherlock is ready to leave an indelible mark on the world. Over the last three years she has involved herself in the worlds of modelling, media and education; three of her passions.

She is a past student of the Immaculate Conception High School for girls, and she will graduate later this year from the University of Technology Jamaica, with a bachelor’s degree in Child and Adolescent Development and a minor in Early Childhood Education.

One of her main focuses now is youth development, and her goal in life it to enter the field of educational media and technology. She hopes that she will be able to use her skills in this area to improve the educational products and services available to Jamaican children.

With her current title as Miss Jamaica Global, Kimberley will be representing Jamaica at the Miss Global International pageant on September 24th at the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa in Jamaica. Following the competition she will dive into her many projects for the year which are geared at youth development of course, and will be aiding the Danny Williams School for the Deaf which is owned by the Jamaica Association for the Deaf.


Meet Miss Jamaica Global 2011, Kimberley Sherlock, from our Q & A session

CEM:Tell me something about yourself.
KS:I am a woman of many hats! In addition to being Miss Jamaica Global 2011, I am also a host on HYPE Tv, the Co-Lifestyles Co-ordinator at the TEENage Observer, a freelance model, the ANARCY fashion face of the year, and the CEO of my charity BLOOM.

CEM:Where did ‘Kim-Issa’ come from?
KS:  A number of persons ask where my nickname ‘Kim-Issa’ came from. Kimberley is my first name and Issa is my middle name. In high school there were about 5 girls named Kimberley in my year alone and probably 20 or more attending overall, so most persons called me Sherlock which is my last name. One of my best friends – Stacey-Ann, decided that she would call me something that nobody else called me, so she started calling me Kim-Issa. Eventually a number of my friends started calling me Kim-Issa, and by the time I got to college that was the name most people knew me by. When I started modelling and getting into media my nickname somewhat became the name that everybody caught on to, so now it has just about stuck.

CEM:Tell us about your family background.
KS:I am the middle child. I live with my mom and step-dad and my two sisters. I consider my immediate family as being small, but I do have a big family who are all very supportive.

CEM:What are your strengths & weaknesses?
KS:I think I’m still learning some of my strengths and weaknesses as I encounter new situations. But I know for sure that one of my strengths is that I strive for whatever I want and I will make sacrifices in aid of that goal or dream. Another strength I’ve found is that I can be very creative and I am very organised, so my friends will ask for my help in certain decisions and in organising parts of their lives.
On the flip side, one my weaknesses is that I tend to worry about things when they seem to not be going the way I envisioned it. I have also acknowledged though that I can be very moody and because of that, there are times I get all grouchy and just want to be alone. I’m learning to curb the moodiness and the worry, and those are things I hope to change overtime.


CEM:Who or what inspires you the most?
KS: As strange as it may sound, my dreams I think inspire me most. My grandma has told me many times that each generation should be better than the last, and that my dreams should be whatever I truly want from life. So I strive to be the best me I can be, but I look to persons like Maria Montessori who made excellent moves in the field of education and youth development, and that’s just about what I want to do.


CEM: Do you consider yourself a role model? Why?
KS:Being only 21, I have never really considered myself a role model, but I do acknowledge that I have the potential to be one. I believe that I still have a lot to learn and improve within myself, and I know that overtime these things will fall into place. 
I am aware though that there are kids who look up to me, and there are persons who think I am a role model because I have been asked to speak at events and give little motivation talks to kids. Because of this I do whatever I can to always put my best foot forward and to give advice and lend a hand wherever I can. 
 

CEM: Most people would ask: What makes Miss Jamaica Global different from other competitions?
KS I think the main difference between Miss Jamaica Global and other competitions is that there is a lot more focus on tourism and the environment. The main focus is really our amazing island home which is noted even in the international pageant, because it is held here in Jamaica. Unlike other pageants instead of sending the queen to meet the international girls in another country, the international queens are coming to our amazing little island and enjoying all Jamaica has to offer, while being hosted by the Jamaican queen.


CEM: Why did you enter the Miss Jamaica Global Pageant?
KS  I really can’t say that there is any specific reason I chose to do Miss Jamaica Global this year. I had done Miss Jamaica Universe in 2010 and finished in the top 10 with the award for the ultimate body; but overall my experiences had both good and bad. Because of that, I was thinking to give the pageant arena a bit of a rest, but as fate would have it, at the last minute I was told about Miss Jamaica Global and I decided to just go for it.


CEM:  What was your platform?
KS: My platform was and still is "youth development". With my degree in Child and Adolescent Development I have gotten the chance to really get an inside look on some of the challenges facing our youth today. Although I am still considered a ‘youth’ myself, I think I have the knowledge and passion to try and make a difference in the lives of children and young adults who need a helping hand or just support in general.


CEM:Since winning the Miss Jamaica Global Pageant, what contributions have you made to Jamaica and your community at large? 
KS: Since I was crowned Miss Jamaica Global I took some time to finish up with school and I am now ready and rearing to go with my projects for the year. I have adopted the Danny Williams School for the Deaf which is owned by the Jamaica Association for the Deaf and I have a number of projects planned for the year for them. I have already done a few visits to the school to connect with the children and discuss plans with the staff. 

To check out my projects for the year and to get info on how you can be a part of them, you can check out my Facebook fan page Kimberley ‘Kim-Issa’ Sherlock.


CEM:  How are you preparing for the Miss Global Pageant?
KS: Between fittings, talent practice, and meetings, I am keeping up with current affairs, working out when I can and trying to relax and focus on the competition. 

 I take in a lot of positivity from the family, friends and fans that support me, especially when things get crazy. I also pray for clarity and composure, and that I will be 100% ready for everything that week.



CEM:  What are the plans for the international contestants and yourself when they get to Jamaica?
KS: The international girls fly to Jamaica between Sunday September 18 and Monday September 19. We have a number of exciting stuff planned including stops at some of the most luxurious hotels on the north coast and of course a number of great tourist spots like Dolphin Cove, Dunns River Falls, Green Grotto Caves and the Jamaica National Zoo. Of course we travel to Kingston for some courtesy calls and in the mix of it all we have rehearsals, dinner parties and just enough time to hang out and relax.  On the 23rd we have the talent show at Grand Palladium, then it all comes down to the grand coronation on the 24th at Grand Palladium as well.



CEM: What will set you apart from the other contestants in Miss Global?
KS: I think my experiences in life and my determination will help to set me a part from the other contestants. I know that some of them have participated in pageants before and others have other types of experience that may give them that additional edge. I’m nervous mostly about the possible language barrier and ensuring that I nail everything I have practiced so far, but I believe that by just being me and maintaining my focus, that could be my push to set me on top.



CEM:  If you should win, how would it make you feel?
KS: I think excited would sum it up! I know that winning would make me proud of myself, and my family, friends and supporters would be equally proud and excited for me. I think winning would also give me the chance to further spread brand Jamaica to the world, as well as to help me in my own personal development.
I also know that winning means I have even more projects and work to be done as both the local and international queen....and I’m ready for that!


CEM:  Do you think looks are important in a Beauty Pageant?
KS:  I do think that looks are important in a beauty pageant, but I think what is most important is individual confidence and inner beauty. Each pageant is usually looking for a different girl and how they know that a specific contestant is the perfect fit is by not only how she looks, but also her overall demeanour, how she interacts with others, her intelligence and her confidence. 


CEM: What is the biggest challenge to young people today?
KS:  I think that many young people today have difficulties being themselves. With many of them there is the constant need to be like a celebrity and often times their uniqueness gets lost behind all that. I think sometimes too, some persons go to extremities to look like someone else, have what they have and do what they do. 

I believe though that with more confidence and the reassurance that they are amazingly unique and should embrace that, there may be a curb in some of this behaviour. I also think that if we embrace who we are, then we will also become more appreciative of where we’re coming from and where we have the potential to be.



CEM: What bothers you most about what is happening in your country today?
KS: The issue that bothers me most about what’s happening in my country today is the issue of literacy. It is disheartening to know that there are children who go through years of school and leave without being fully literate. 

I appreciate that this is an issue that is being addressed by our current education minister Mr Andrew Holness, but I think that there is more that needs to be done by some schools, large corporations, families and the society in general. 
 I believe that our nation’s children are our most precious resource , and I know that if we are to have a better nation in years to come then we will have to put much of our current time and resources into the development of these children.
This of course is why I have chosen youth development as my platform, and an aspect of education as my future profession.


CEM: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
KS: In 5 years I hope to have completed graduate school and to be working in the field of educational media and technology. Hopefully I would have already launched my own company and be in the process of making improvements to our education system.  By then too maybe I would be considering marriage and a family of my own.


CEM: What is educational media and technology?
KS:  This is an area of education that is slowly becoming developed in Jamaica particularly through the e-Learning centre. It places emphasis on alternative learning methods that include the use of various media and technology such as television, radio, computers and handheld devices. 
As a student, I sometimes had difficulty learning from the ‘chalk and talk’ method alone and I had to turn to interactive programs and methods to fully grasp some concepts. Although the ‘chalk and talk’ works for some students, I believe that this alternative method may be the way to better educate some of our nation’s children especially those with learning disabilities and special needs.



CEM: What advice would you give for someone entering any form of pageant?
KS: There is so much I would tell someone who is thinking to enter a pageant. The first thing would be for them to always remember how amazing and blessed they are. I would definitely warn them about the various comments they will get, both good and bad; and I would tell them that they can expect to learn things about themselves and others that they would learn about in no other arena. It’s an interesting experience and it can present opportunities that may very well be the ‘once in a lifetime’ type. 

Most importantly, I would remind them that being queen is a full time job, and it requires you to be an ambassador everyday. You have to be wholeheartedly ready for the competition period and the reign you could possibly win. 


I would also tell them to feel free to send me whatever queries they have to my fan page on Facebook – Kimberley ‘Kim-Issa’ Sherlock, and I would help out however I possibly can.
We at CEM want  to wish Kimberley all the best in the upcoming Miss Global Pageant, and her endeavors in life. Good luck !!!
Share this article :
 
Design Template by panjz-online | Support by creating website | Powered by Blogger